There are some rural areas undergoing digital precision agriculture programs using agritech 4.0 and artificial intelligence technologies meant to create resilient communities and society to better prepare the areas with food secure systems.
The idea is that young farmers with their small farming can adapt their farms based on exact needs by their community and the nearby residents. However a precision calibration between the community demands and what the farmer plants is not there yet. This balance was moreover altered by the pandemic as there were many crops left on stock while on the other side many demands cannot be covered.
Similarly, a farmers cooperative named AI ITIFAQ is experiencing similar supply-demand problems as small farmers are having surplus. This is due to a lack of a smart crop-rotation scheduling /plant management system that can adapt itself to the needs at hand.
Finally, EntreVA’s is interested in gathering and analyzing the behaviour revolving around the agri-food supply chain. They want to know the patterns characteristic to the pre and post pandemic era to better assist people involved in the agricultural supply chain.
See challenge questions below (Needs to be Addressed Section).
1. Challenge Questions:
- Can you build a marketplace where farmers can interact with their communities and estimate the crop quantities needed by them to inform his/her planting decisions?
- Can you develop an intelligent distribution system that can identify areas with need and areas with surplus?
- Can you develop a smart corp-rotation/plant management system to better help farmers schedule their planting activities across the year?
- Can you document and analyze the agri-supply chain behaviour in the past months and compare it relative to a baseline of ‘normal’ months in the past years?
- Any other ideas that are digital and sustainable in the long term that might help farmers and their nearby communities with food security?
2. Data needed:
Satellite data, area of planting, crop types per month, crop yields, crops sales, micro-climate data systems, age composition and education of farmers
Politeknik Negeri Bandung, EntreVA,Cooperative Al ITIFAQ